2019 : A Year of Intentionality

2019 – Intentionality

My #oneword for 2019 is intentionality.

I have tried to stay focused this year and work “within my lane.”  I have many partnerships and many overlapping tasks that often make that difficult. For that reason,  I feel that it is essential to be very intentional in all I do and say with regards to students, teacher supports and even in my own personal life – so that each area reflects a clear purpose. 

Just to be clear- I have a confession. Once I reached 30 years of service in education,  I stopped counting the years. I know this year will be late 30 something and probably closer to 40 years than I’d like to admit.  Despite the aches and pains and inability to sit criss-cross applesauce on the floor any longer, I really don’t feel old and no, I’m not ready to retire. It’s not that I think I’m too good either-its the exact opposite-I’m still not as good as I want to be. I still believe teaching is one of the greatest professions and that it is a privilege and great responsibility to be a part of impacting so many lives.

Every year there are more and more ridiculous requirements, while in contrast there are more advancements in technology plus the unpredictable challenges that we now face in reaching a diverse and unique population of students. These are the points that motivate me to keep learning, growing and improving my practices.

My Twitter and Facebook PLN connections have also provided deeper and more relevant PD than I have ever experienced. The connections I have made through Twitter alone over the past 4 years have played a valuable role in helping me to stay motivated, engaged and informed.

I want to thank John Seidlitz and the representatives of his amazing team of specialist who have educated, motivated and inspired me – Carol Salvo, Dr. Lara, Nancy Motley, Michelle Yzquierdo – thank you all for your dedication and hard work and your generous gift of time and knowledge to me and thousands of more educators. You are our rock!

To Noa Daniels- the most creative and innovative teacher I have not yet had the privilege to meet- you voice beams with joy and that makes me happy. I love you and your passion for inquiry learning and thinking outside the box. You are the kind of teacher I always wanted to be or work side by side with. ( FYI- My playlist keeps changing,  so I guess it’s a good thing I’m not BIG enough to be on your show- but I am listening!)

To Emily Francis  and Tan Huynh  your stories and lives are a testimony to the strength of human spirit -and your dedication and commitment to EL students and education are truly inspiring. I wonder if you realize how much you impact the lives of those you come in contact with? I feel blessed to be a part of this PLN circle.

There are so many others that I plan to highlight and intentionally thank as the weeks progress. For now, as I begin this new year and blogging journey-  know that my heart is overflowing with gratitude for many reasons. 

2 thoughts on “2019 : A Year of Intentionality

1. Virginia,
    I’m so glad I stopped by today to visit your new blog. I feel right at home for several reasons. I’m an ELL teacher (teaching native Arabic speakers) and a lifelong learner (I loved your quote: “I really don’t feel old and no, I’m not ready to retire. It’s not that I think I’m too good either-its the exact opposite-I’m still not as good as I want to be.” I can totally relate! I too believe education is a great profession and privilege. I like challenges too! My one word for the year is sow, as I need to be productive this year, so I can reap the rewards.

I can’t believe your blog is just a few days old! You really do like challenges–three posts in one day, it looks like! You will do well. I know I will be back to learn more from you about English language acquisition.

Sincerely,
    Denise Krebs

P.S. My mom was named Virginia, too. She would have been 97 on her birthday, which is today.

1. Denise,
      I’m also glad you stopped by!Thanks for your kind words. I’m going to check out your blog site too. It’s great to connect with EL teachers.
      I was named after my Mom’sister who just passed away in November. We feel fortunate to still have my mom with us, she celebrated her 90th birthday in July.